PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette Cameo what do you all think

popcorn
22-11-2011, 11:19 AM
All of the people who bought a silhouette cameo are you keeping it and what do you think of it just wanted to know as may be interested in getting one for my xmas pressie from family but it is a lot of money and will have to put some money to it myself

blarf
22-11-2011, 12:59 PM
well, the blades are more expensive and I have to say that I've blunted my blade already (on my very intricate wedding stationery - on my robo I was getting 2 invites per blade, on the cameo it's 3) so i'm not overjoyed at the moment.

That said, the blade it probably adequate for most cuts, it's just too blunt for my invite.

copsie_girl
22-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Haven't managed to save up for one yet but my friend has one and wow, the demo she gave me was awesome. She didn't mention the blades, however, so I don't know about that. The reason I haven't bought any of the cricuts etc is the cost of the cartridges and inks so I would investigate the cost of the replacement items and how often you'll need to buy them before I would part with my cash.

CG

Dax
22-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I love my Cameo and would recommend it if you want a cutting machine that does not use cartridges. It does come with 51 templates in the Studio software to get you started, also comes with a $10 card for downloading more templates from the Studio store. The store opens from within your Studio software as long as you are connected to the internet.

There is a way to have 101 templates by downloading the free Studio software from Silhouette America first instead of the software on the disc. Connect the Cameo to your computer, go file, preferences, advance then restore the initial 51 designs. I am attaching a screen shot.

Had an email from Silhouette US and from Friday 25th until Sunday 28th all templates at 50 cents. The $10 download card goes even further then.

If you want to make your own templates for the Cameo then it is a case of learning the software. The same with the print and cut but the auto trace is just simple steps.

My first two print & cut cards with my Cameo, sorry pics not as clear as I would like. The '3 To Day' were cut on the Cameo using
holographic card. I had done the other text too but too big for card but did not have enough time to redo smaller.

Dax
22-11-2011, 02:22 PM
well, the blades are more expensive and I have to say that I've blunted my blade already (on my very intricate wedding stationery - on my robo I was getting 2 invites per blade, on the cameo it's 3) so i'm not overjoyed at the moment.

That said, the blade it probably adequate for most cuts, it's just too blunt for my invite.

Blarf there is a thread on scrappers about this and Graphtec have offered to exchange them if you send the faulty one back. There might be a bad batch. Email Graphtec and complain about yours.

Seems you also need to check there is no card/paper dust or bits around the blade. Turn the ratchet up to 10 and use a soft brush. Some posters are also complaining to Silhouette US via email about the problem.

I have gone up to 7 and a double cut without any problems on Doeflex. The Supersmooth card I previously cut on a double cut highest settings in Robo I now cut in my Cameo using my Robo blade and just have to cut once.

LynneH
22-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm loving mine. I spent the morning cutting out loads of helicopter and Santa parts for Christmas cards. Some of the Santa parts were really small and it cut them out without any trouble. I don't think assembling them all will be quite so simple!!!!! I'm not looking forward to that bit.

I've got a long wish list in the Silhouette Store and plan on making the most of the Black Friday sale. I've decided to go for the Premium Subscription so I should be able to get a good selection. I've been really pleased with the designs that I have downloaded so far.

barbieg
22-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I`m loving mine too. I had a C......T before, but the cameo cuts much cleaner. I also love the software and up graded to the designer edition. I have had no problems at all. I too have a long wish list.( there are so many lovely designs to choose from!) Also lots of freebies about as well so you don`t have to spend too much money.

Dax
23-11-2011, 01:39 PM
All of the people who bought a silhouette cameo are you keeping it and what do you think of it just wanted to know as may be interested in getting one for my xmas pressie from family but it is a lot of money and will have to put some money to it myself

Not sure if you are going to be unlucky as on checking the C&C web site looks like they have sold out. Nigel did say that if it did sell out they would not be having any more stock until January.

No accessories showing either when I did a search this morning. Late afternoon yesterday I checked the listings there was supposed to be a repeat show at 10 last night but on clicking yesterdays schedule it is not there.

Dax
23-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Reading another forum and found a link to this blog showing shapes cut from cereal box. She gives the cut settings too. :up:
http://yorkiemomsblog.blogspot.com/

She also shows the very small intricate snowflake. I have used that template and cut one less than an inch across from card. Really cuts clean

LynneH
23-11-2011, 03:18 PM
That snowflake is really impressive. I've not tried anything that small yet. I'm going through a vinyl phase at the moment. It cuts so well and you don't have to worry about sticking down fiddly things! lol

blarf
24-11-2011, 11:20 AM
thanks, I'll contact graphtec. I did have a lot of paper stuck but I've blasted it out using a can of compressed air (like you would use to clean a computer keyboard). Worked a treat (I moved the blade right down inside though)

Dax
27-11-2011, 12:53 AM
thanks, I'll contact graphtec. I did have a lot of paper stuck but I've blasted it out using a can of compressed air (like you would use to clean a computer keyboard). Worked a treat (I moved the blade right down inside though)

Blarf have you heard back from Graphtec and also have you tried your Robo blade in your Cameo???

A Robo blade in my Camer works great. With the pink cap I use a lower pressure in the Cameo and only needs one cut whereas in the Robo it needed the highest pressure and double cut on around 200 to 250 gsm card. I am glad I still have an extra Robo blade and a couple of USA blade pins. :115:

blarf
27-11-2011, 10:50 AM
I still need to contact graphtec, planning to try my robo blade today - I have loads of them that I have bought ready to do the invites before I heard about the cameo.

xxxtglxxx
29-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I have had my silhouette SD for about 7 months, I love it. I can make it sing and dance all day without any problems. I also went for the premium subscription which allows to me make a lot of 'one-offs' really cheaply for things I wouldnt dream of buying a die for.

I am SOOOOO tempted by this new machine though, as it does cut deeper, and double-cut is ok, but a lot of intricate doilies take a while and a double cut makes them take twice as long. I have been known to set my snowflakes off and go to bed! :)

here is the first card thing I ever cut with my silhouette SD - first time, first cut, first day - though I did save the doily and border to use on the right project ;) :

http://xxxtglxxx.blogspot.com/2011/08/things-with-wings-i-promarkers.html

and for the one-offs: http://xxxtglxxx.blogspot.com/2011/07/oooh-arrrgh-recipe-i-promarkers.html

I am still very tempted by a new machine though!! :D and am trying very hard to justify it!

Dips
29-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I have a Silhouette, which I tend to use in spurts, but what is the main advantage to the cameo? Does it have a bigger cutting area?

Dax
29-11-2011, 10:52 PM
I have had my silhouette SD for about 7 months, I love it. I can make it sing and dance all day without any problems. I also went for the premium subscription which allows to me make a lot of 'one-offs' really cheaply for things I wouldnt dream of buying a die for.

I am SOOOOO tempted by this new machine though, as it does cut deeper, and double-cut is ok, but a lot of intricate doilies take a while and a double cut makes them take twice as long. I have been known to set my snowflakes off and go to bed! :)

here is the first card thing I ever cut with my silhouette SD - first time, first cut, first day - though I did save the doily and border to use on the right project ;) :

http://xxxtglxxx.blogspot.com/2011/08/things-with-wings-i-promarkers.html

and for the one-offs: http://xxxtglxxx.blogspot.com/2011/07/oooh-arrrgh-recipe-i-promarkers.html

I am still very tempted by a new machine though!! :D and am trying very hard to justify it!

The first card is stunning and the second one really good. You are very talented.

I love my Cameo and don't regret buying mine at all. It is everything the Robo/Silhouette is with more going for it.

I have a Silhouette, which I tend to use in spurts, but what is the main advantage to the cameo? Does it have a bigger cutting area?

Yes Dips a bigger cutting area at 12x12 and when your card is on the mat the rollers roll over the mat edge not your card. You can unlock the bar holding the rollers and move the right hand roller in to use A4 size paper, card etc.

It does cut better than the Robo/Silhouette because of it's heavier motor and the way the engineers designed the way it cuts. I found that a double cut on my Robo can be done with a single cut on the Cameo. Makes the machine quicker and it is slightly quieter.

There have been problems with some of the new ratchet blades, something to do with a bearing failing according to Graphtec who will send a replacement. Also some blade problems are caused by user error and Graphtec are now puting a new leaflet in with machines to explain. There is all the information on ukscrappers.

If you are use to a Robo/Silhouette then the Cameo works the same but it would be wise to protect your blade to test cut paper/card before using so that your blade lasts longer. When I first had my Robo the first blade blunted very quickly and I had to learn what will cut and what won't. Not all card is equal even if the gsm weight says the same.

xxxtglxxx
30-11-2011, 12:05 AM
If you are use to a Robo/Silhouette then the Cameo works the same but it would be wise to protect your blade to test cut paper/card before using so that your blade lasts longer. When I first had my Robo the first blade blunted very quickly and I had to learn what will cut and what won't. Not all card is equal even if the gsm weight says the same.

Thanks for that :) I learned pretty quickly that it doesnt matter so much about the gsm, it is the card. The black card I used for the pirate card took ages to die cut, even though its only 200gsm. It seemed to have a more fibrous quality, and the blade just wouldnt make the same impact even with 3 - 4 passes. It still cut it eventually, but I kind of know now just from the feel of the card if it will be suitable. I dont tend to cut much paper, so my carrier sheet for that is almost new, but I have had some really great results with various card from bazzil, pearl, and textured.

xxxtglxxx
13-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Ooh, just as an update, because of the One Time Only day today, there was an extra 5% off the Silhouette Cameo, so add that to my members 10% I thought it was well worth an upgrade :)

I cant wait now! I will be selling my silhouette SD on my blog, as that was my OH's only condition on me upgrading :) I dont need 2. lol. ;)

http://xxxtglxxx.blogspot.com/

Richy
14-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I went for the upgrade as well a total of 43.36 discount made it 258.63 on 3 easi pays - bargain. Sorry silhouette SD its E Bay for you.

xxxtglxxx
14-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Ooh Im glad you did too Richy, I spent the last couple of weeks really trying to justify it, but the larger cutting area is a winner for me, as I like doing 3d stuff like boxes etc. Its still a reasonably priced machine and I think good value.

Dax
15-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Ooh, just as an update, because of the One Time Only day today, there was an extra 5% off the Silhouette Cameo, so add that to my members 10% I thought it was well worth an upgrade

I cant wait now! I will be selling my silhouette SD on my blog, as that was my OH's only condition on me upgrading I dont need 2. lol.

Too good an offer for you to miss then. :laugh: Just in time for Christmas. :110:
I don't think you will regret it, I certainly don't.

My Robo is back in his box, not sure what to do with him. I can't believe Dh suggested I keep him for a little while just in case I might need him.

My Cameo is working hard, so far over 40 toppers and mats for Christmas cards made. Plus over half a dozen print & cut decoupage toppers for family. Still a couple more to do. :115:

xxxtglxxx
15-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Too good an offer for you to miss then. Just in time for Christmas. I don't think you will regret it, I certainly don't.

My Robo is back in his box, not sure what to do with him. I can't believe Dh suggested I keep him for a little while just in case I might need him.

My Cameo is working hard, so far over 40 toppers and mats for Christmas cards made. Plus over half a dozen print & cut decoupage toppers for family. Still a couple more to do

Wow, how industrious have you been! :) thats brilliant. I really like some of the silhouette dies (as in real silhouettes) that are great as toppers in their own right. I had planned to make about 12 xmas cards that way (with the 12 days of christmas), but found a stash of cards I made from last year!..

My SD was meant to be for xmas (ahem) but when I got it, I said no point in losing 6 months warranty, so best I play with it. Now that worked out as a plan! ;)

I am quite excited now and hope that the new one performs as well as my SD - it always played nicely for me, and also that the larger size isnt too cumbersome on my pc desk.

Dax
16-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Wow, how industrious have you been! :) thats brilliant. I really like some of the silhouette dies (as in real silhouettes) that are great as toppers in their own right. I had planned to make about 12 xmas cards that way (with the 12 days of christmas), but found a stash of cards I made from last year!..My SD was meant to be for xmas (ahem) but when I got it, I said no point in losing 6 months warranty, so best I play with it. Now that worked out as a plan! ;) I am quite excited now and hope that the new one performs as well as my SD - it always played nicely for me, and also that the larger size isnt too cumbersome on my pc desk.http://xxxtglxxx.blogspot.com/

The Cameo is about 5" longer than the Robo Silhouette so not much bigger. My Cameo has been squeezed into the space left by my poor Robo.

The Silhouette store are offering a free template download every day until Christmas. They are calling it the 12 days of Christmas, started on Tuesday. :117:

Mystic Mog
18-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Waiting for Xmas to play with mine...

lilac froggy Jan
18-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Blarf there is a thread on scrappers about this and Graphtec have offered to exchange them if you send the faulty one back. There might be a bad batch. Email Graphtec and complain about yours.

If he's still there, it's a man called Brian who deals with these things. My robo lite blade had a problem and he sent me a new set. Usually asks you to send the blade set you have back to him. Then he sends the replacement.

Crafter On The Go
18-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't know if anyone who has a Cameo
would be interested in joining a Design Team, but if you are interested please drop me a line at wyswyg@hotmail.co.uk. Sadly it would be on a voluntary basis but we'll be able to rustle up some free download cards by way of a thank you.

Hayley x x x