Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anna Griffin Dies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anna Griffin Dies

My Flourish dies arrived yesterday (Flowers are still in the post) and I just had a chance to have a bit of a play with them. I tried them in 2 Cuttlebug sandwiches, and one on the Grand Calibur using Coredinations, mirri card and Centura Pearl cardstock.

First - I love them. The designs are really elegant, and the embossing adds a real touch of luxury.

The second thing I would say is that she wasn't kidding that you need some strength to wind them through the Cuttlebug. She made a point of saying that if you didn't have some strength you shouldn't get them (after Craig was saying it was so easy any one could do it). She was demoing with slightly lighter paper and you could see she was still using some welly!

I've put my experiences with cutting on the different machines and sandwiches below. If others have tips please add them to this thread!

CUTTLEBUG CUTTING with green mat:
    The A, green mat, B, die, paper, B sandwich: for the largest die this took some strength. The smaller dies were easier (but still needed some effort). The smaller dies always cut first time for me. The largest die occasionally had a small bit at the edge that didn't cut and I think that was when the green mat (which is smaller than the plates) wasn't directly under the die so the pressure at the edges was less. I just realigned and ran it though a second time and it finished the cut. (Once I just embossed and the embossing step finished off the cut as well.)

Your top B plate will curve when you run it through. I just turned it over for the next cut (or emboss) and that evened it out. I also rotated the B plates - some people don't like having the cut marks on both plates but that doesn't bother me. And it helps me keep the plates flat.

CUTTLEBUG CUTTING with C adapter plate:
    The C plate is sold separately from the Cuttlebug and was designed for cutting thin dies. If you are using this you DON'T use the green mat. Again the smaller dies were easy and generally cut first time with the A, B die, paper, C plate sandwich. For the large die I found a single piece of copy paper as a shim helped, and I ran the die through twice (once I had to do 3 times).

CUTTLEBUG EMBOSSING
    The embossing sandwich (whichever cutting sandwich you use) is A plate, B plate, die, paper, green mat, B plate. This sandwich is easier to roll through an the resulting emboss is lovely.

GRAND CALIBUR CUTTING AND EMBOSSING
    I used the standard GC sandwich and the large die cut after 2 passes (can't say if 1 pass would work as I always roll it through and then back again!) No extra strength required here - just usual GC cutting. I also embossed using the usual embossing sandwich and that was fine. I suspect a very thin shim (perhaps like the Tattered Lace magnetic sheet) might help a bit as these dies seem a little thinner than standard Spellbinders.

Getting the cut out of the dies - for the smaller dies this was easy peasy. For the largest die a bit of care is required. I found the die 'settled in' and the cuts were a little easier to remove after a few uses. The centre of the die is the hardest to remove (the very thin loops). Take your time! I did rub a white candle on the central loops to 'wax them' a little and that did help. I'm sure wax paper would be fab. I'll try a dryer sheet as well and let you know if that helps!
    Last edited by SooG; 25-08-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Scrappy Soo - my paper, ink and all things glittery blog
    Things Soo Likes - my knitting blog

2. Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this post

Well mine arrived yesterday l brought the flourish dies, have tried them in the big short the first two small dies are fine no problem, the larger one was very stiff at first putting this though it was really stiff with the handle this was only on thin card
    will try the ebosser tomorrow as l do have bad arm/shoulder see if this is any better they are lovely dies and no problem getting card out of the die. Would have like the floral dies but they now sold out. Photos follow when l have time tomorrow

The larger die with the centre bit was easy to get out with mine just a bit of naughty die putting it thought the big shot

xx
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

4.    Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by northern crafter View Post
    Thank you for this post

Well mine arrived yesterday l brought the flourish dies, have tried them in the big short the first two small dies are fine no problem, the larger one was very stiff at first putting this though it was really stiff with the handle this was only on thin card
    will try the ebosser tomorrow as l do have bad arm/shoulder see if this is any better they are lovely dies and no problem getting card out of the die. Would have like the floral dies but they now sold out. Photos follow when l have time tomorrow

The larger die with the centre bit was easy to get out with mine just a bit of naughty die putting it thought the big shot

xx
    Thanks NC. I think you'll have better luck with the Ebosser - but do let us know. My theory (based only on experience - so not proven!) is that when the large die is used on the smaller machines (like the Cuttlebug, Big Shot) it's harder to get through as it pretty much fills the mat and so there is more pressure on the rollers making turning the handle harder. With the smaller dies (or the large dies on a larger mat like the GC) there's a bit of 'give' in the plates around the dies so they are easier to roll through.

Interesting that the centre of your larger die released easily - wonder if it's the type of paper?
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

6.    Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

l used very thin Kanban card picked up years ago when their shop was open, did hurt my shoulder yesterday when putting the larger one though the big shot, having rest today will start another go tomorrow.

As l'm profound deaf l would not heard Anna Griffin say the ' you need strength putting these though the cuttlebug' thanks for that information - l already ordered the dies before they came on air, hopefully the ebosser would be better cutting the larger one.

Thank you for your help Srappy Soo will let you know what happens

xx

Post Thanks / Like

My flourish dies came too (floral still en-route!) the smaller two cut and embossed beautifully in my big shot express. The large one, however had me panicked. The motor coped well until about the last inch or so & then it died I switched it on and off a couple of times and managed to coax it through eventually, but embossing it was fine. So I think I'll have to play around with that ~ maybe try without the solo thin adapter...

Big shot express cutting

Essential platform
    thin solo adapter
    both cutting plates

Big shot express embossing

Essentials platform
    thin solo adapter
    1 cutting plate
    2 tan mats
    shim of 3 layers of cardstock
    Last edited by juzzab; 25-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

9.    Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

Does it have to be a Cuttlebug?? I have a Spellbinder original raspberry thing - will the dies go through that? Does anyone know?

11.    Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Warwickshire View Post
    Does it have to be a Cuttlebug?? I have a Spellbinder original raspberry thing - will the dies go through that? Does anyone know?
    I used it in my Grand Calibur and that cut fine (passed it through twice) using the standard GC sandwich. If it's a Wizard then I expect you'll be fine if you use whatever sandwich you use for Spellbinders dies. As it is a smaller plate machine you may find it's a bit harder to roll through the largest die - but it should work.

13.    Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

WHERE ARE ME DIES. IT'S NOT RIGHT BOOBOO
    Rise From The Ashes

15.    Sponsored Links

Post Thanks / Like

So has anyone tried them with an ebosser? I do wonder, if they are difficult to go through a manual machine, then an ebosser might not manage it, as it just stops and rewinds if the sandwich is too thick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janj View Post
    So has anyone tried them with an ebosser? I do wonder, if they are difficult to go through a manual machine, then an ebosser might not manage it, as it just stops and rewinds if the sandwich is too thick.
    The dies aren't thick - they actually seem to be a wee bit thinner than Spellbinders. The reason for the extra oomph needed for the largest die ( the smaller ones are fine) in a Cuttkebug or Big Shot is that the large die pretty much covers the mat (the die is a full 5 x 7) so there is no 'give' when the sandwich is rolled through the machine. It will go through - but you need some strength!

The large die went through the Gand Calibur as normal as it does not cover the whole mat.

On that basis I'm pretty sure the dies will be fine in an eBosser.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post