Redwork - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redwork

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I love lace knitting and crochet. Knitted loads of Aran's way back when, plus a load of lovely cable patterns in double knitting from a Sirdar booklet. During the cricket season I knitted the boring stuff, as in school jumpers/cardigans. From September it was C******** stuff, one year I knitted eight pairs of gloves. They were kitted sideways from a pattern that was in Pins And Needles many moons ago.

I have also knitted socks by the hundred over the years. They were on two needles, and in double knitting. These days I use two circular needles so I don't have the dreaded back seam to sew up, and they are in 4ply. I can, well make that could, knit with double pointed needles, but they kept getting stuck in the fingerless glove I have to wear on my right hand. Once I discovered how to do them on two circular needles I was in my element.

Made all my own clothes at one time, then it became way too expensive for the patterns, zips thread and fabric. I struggled to lift the sewing machine onto the table, wood base and metal body, so sort of gave up. I bought a new machine, gave it away, bought another which screeched like a banshee, so it was returned. Didn't like the next one, so sold it. I now have a Singer, which does more than I really want it to. How many types of buttonholes does one really want/need? One thing in its favour is that it has an automatic needle threader, and a variable stitch width/length, which I can set myself. As for the 150 or so embroidery stitches............ I hardly used the 20 I had on the New Home, so the odds on my using them on the Singer are somewhat remote.

Roz
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/RozMinis/

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING
    My first sewing machine was a treadle very similar to the one my Nan had that we weren't allowed to touch. My second one was one of those cheap ones they used to advertise in the Sunday papers, worked well though. I then got a Singer must have been in about 1966, loved it because it did overstitch lol. The one I've got now does quite a lot of stitches but I've also got an embroidery one and an overstitcher. We've been in this house for about 12/13 years and none of them have been out of their boxes.

Hubby made me a lovely table for my ordinary machine exactly like the ones you buy where the machine can be turned upside down and go under the table and the table can be used as a table lol. He chopped that up a while ago.

The sewing machine is a Husqvarna and the embroidery machine a Brother. Don't know how many stitches the Husqvarna does, quite a few I think.

I've also got a Toyota knitting machine and separate ribber again they haven't been out of their boxes for years.
    I love flowers

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone fancy sewing up the 20 or so elves I have managed to knit so far for my bazaar stall? That's one of the things I had planned to do this week, rather than sit around in Munich hotel rooms (it is pouring with rain at the moment)!
    I find the Aldi aran knits up beautifully. Easily for a sweater for a 9 year old from one ball of blue and a ball of pink has made 2 jumpers for 3 years old plus one for a 5 year old. Even cheaper than Primark!
    I never managed to finish the mutant turtle sweater, but I did several Thomas ones, including one for my 30 year old brother who was jealous of his toddler nephew's jumper! I also finished Jimbo and Tom and Jerry jumpers and 2 Dick Bruna alphabet blankets. Not bad for a mum working full-time. The girls I teach tell me that their mum's can't sew on a button and some people I know pay to have name tags seen into their children's school uniforms!!!

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good heavens CSF, I can't believe folks don't know how to sew. Although I guess it isn't part of the school curriculum these days. Shame really, especially as not all children are academically or sport inclined. I know I wasn't the brightest button at school, I wasn't dim either, one of those plodders who would get there in her own good time!

I was using my grandma's treadle sewing machine as soon as I could reach the treadle. I must have been about eight, never looked back. I made a suit and coat in my last year at school, wore the coat on parents night. I was well pleased with the effect it had on the parents, felt so smug for days afterwards. ;)

My mum bought a knitting machine. She insisted I learn how to use it so I could teach her. I don't think she ever made anything with it though. Bit of a waste as she bought the ribber, and also a lace carriage. I was a tad puzzled about the latter as I thought it did lace work anyway, at least it did when I used it. No idea what happened to it, don't know if she sold it, gave it away, or what. I know I didn't want it, way too noisy, we could have ended in the divorce courts! I know sewing machine are noisy beasts, but I didn't have that going all the time. Come to think of it, aluminium knitting needles are not exactly quiet either, thank heavens for the new wooden ones. :)

Roz
    Last edited by RozMinis; 11-08-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

Post Thanks / Like

All the girls I teach do Textiles when they are in the lower part of the school, but it is part of the Art department and, as far as I can ascertain, they only use sewing machines and don't do any hand sewing. I had a girl in my form last year who was doing A-level Textiles. The hem of her school skirt was hanging down and looked awful. I suggested that as she was good as clothes design she could easily fix the problem - her response was to say that there wasn't a sewing machine in the boarding house and she didn't do hand sewing. When I did a Craftivism activity with my 14 year olds they had no idea how to thread a needle - which is when they told me their mothers didn't sew at all!

Post Thanks / Like

ADVERTISING

Must admit I prefer hand sewing to machine. Machines are such noisy creatures I've always thought. I reckon their only saving grace is that seams are much sturdier as they use two threads instead of one.

Roz