Flower
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tattered Lace Violet Haze

I don't do much paper crafting anymore as it all went towards die cutting and it got a bit boring and expensive. Just having a nose on the C&C TV and Tattered Lace are punting some dies for a penny less than £100!! They are nothing special either. Does anyone really make their money back selling cards these days? Nancy and Stephanie are waffling on about how beautiful the cards are made with these dies but they aren't. I for one won't be spending that kind of money.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the reasons for me watching hardly any craft on tv now, is the excessive cost of some of these bundles. I have never sold any of my cards so would buy for personal use and just don't make enough cards to be able to justify that kind of expense. I have accumulated enough from the days when you were able to buy substantial kits for £15-30, and that would only be by making 1-2 purchases per month or maybe even per quarter. Some of the dies are beautiful, but also can be very expensive. In one way I am grateful for the fact that everybody is doing dies, as it has curtailed my spending dramatically
    Generally I now record any shows that I may be interested in and watch at a later date or not. That is the best way of saving (for me anyway).
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I canít see how they get the prices all this well we designed it blah blah
    I recently found out from someone that in some cases they do a rough sketch take it to someone to do a proper design which is then sent to China or Thailand or some other country where design is tweaked to make the die
    The fact that we can pick them up so cheap buying from theses counties proves how little they get paid probably the buyers pay less then we pay buying them on ebay otherwise they would charge a little more
    Where I hate slave labour it will always go on
    And by buying direct I am hopefully it helps put food on the table
    I rarely buy dies now as there are so many brands with similar designs
    Also some of the new ones out are so dated
    Saw the Anna Griffin ones that are like the old spellbinders at 3 times the price
    Right getting off my pile of soap boxes now
    You don't have to be as mad as a box of frogs to be here but it helps:mysmilie_13:

Post Thanks / Like

I had to laugh when Craig made a remark about Anna’s stuff being so much more expensive than the cheap stuff you can buy elsewhere that won’t last like Anna’s - he was talking about the die cleaner brush. I do not like the concept of the decoupage dies TL sell.

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently bought a number of dies from China which bear a likeness to dies I have seen on sale on shopping channels, but at a fraction of the price (£17 for a set that was advertised at £70 and no p&p). Receiving them in plain cello bags with no fancy packaging you see how little you get for your money at full price. If there were instructions on using the dies or ideas for cards etc on the packaging I might be more inclined to buy them here, but whatever price I pay I still have to go on the internet for instructions!

Post Thanks / Like

I am astonished that the die market is still so big to be honest. There's never anything particularly different, in my mind, cards made with die cuts all look the same. But, you know, each to their own...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenpeper/

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - which is why I don't want to buy huge sets. I just want the occasional die for special cards.
    I have a Sixth Form tutorial group, so when they go off for their A-level study leave I like to make a good luck card especially for them. So I look out all year for dies linked to their special interests. I make them cards using Craft Artist for backgrounds - the Kate Hadfield digikits are great, especially if they are aiming for a career in medicine, which is rather a niche market for dies (although Cricut has some handy cartridges!). This year's group included a keen ice-skater, one who has bought a bus and is aiming to pass her PSV licence during her gap year, a Classicist and an Historian among others.

Post Thanks / Like

And where is the Charisma part? They keep saying about it without a word of where to get the images! Not that I'm buying. Like many others, I buy from China directly in the hope that the money, or at least some of it, gets to the workers, by cutting out the 'middle man'. The price goes up because there are so many layers of people taking their cut. I've been crafting for a long time now, and only have one arm. It would have been great when I started to have die cut decoupage, but now I prefer mixed media, where you can be less precise and let your creativity run wild. Charisma limits creativity in my opinion

Somewhere amid the mess in my office/craftroom!
    Post Thanks / Like

I've bought a few dies from China via Wish, in some cases they are free, with only the cost of postage to pay. Thought one of the sets of three I bought recently had gone AWOL, but it arrived while we were on our hols. The packet was a tad mangled, but the dies inside are ok. I've also bought some of the Diamond Dots from Wish/Amazon/eBay/The Works. I only wanted the small ones to make into cards, but may invest in one of the larger ones for C********. ;)

Apart from the members gifts, I have bought very little from C & C this year. On the whole they an Hochanda are not only expensive, but sell very little that I like. On the odd occasion there is something I fancy, I can usually find it cheaper elsewhere.

Roz

Always look on the bright side, if you can't find it then polish up the dull side.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/RozMinis/

https://rozneedlesandhooks.wordpress.com/ My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of the first Tattered Lace sets about five years ago and their first Christmas set, I've used them once! Now I don't buy the sets, I get the dies in the Hunkydory magazine, and I buy the ones separately that I need.